If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

There are many common household products that can be very dangerous and even lethal to your pets. It is important to ‘pet proof’ your household so that your pets do not have access to these dangerous substances.

If you suspect that your pet has been poisoned you can phone the
Pet Poison Helpline at 1 800 213 6680 (http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/)
or phone your veterinarian immediately

  1. Chocolate
  2. Mouse and Rat Poisons (rodenticides)
  3. Vitamins and Minerals (e.g., Vitamin D3, iron, etc.)
  4. Medications (e.g., calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers, NSAIDS, antidepressants, Tylenol, cold and allergy meds, ADD/ADHD meds, etc.)
  5. Xylitol (found in sugar free candies and gum)
  6. Caffeine Pills
  7. Topical spot-on insecticides (Permethrin in cats)
  8. Lilies
  9. Glow Sticks
  10. Mouse and Rat Poison
  11. Avocado
  12. Alcoholic beverages
  13. Macadamia nuts
  14. Fatty foods
  15. Onions
  16. Grapes/raisins
  17. Garlic
  18. Yeast Dough
  19. Citronella
  20. Cocoa mulch or fertilizers
  21. Antifreeze
  22. Fabric softner sheets
  23. Pennies (post 1982 – high zinc content)

To find a thorough list of common household plants that are toxic to pets, you can go to http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants

UA-49414425-1